Friday, July 4, 2014

July 3: Rebel

I'm breaking the rules. I mostly don't care. Pat says it's okay, after all.

Yesterday I read my first pep talk form the NaNoWriMo website. I selected Patrick Rothfuss, since I just read The Name of the Wind and loved it. The first part of his message was to avoid doing other things and JUST WRITE. Specifically, don't read stuff.

Ironic, given that his 1107 page sequel is near the top of my summer reading pile... As soon as I finish e. lockhart's We Were Liars and my July bookclub book, I'll probably get sucked in.

I also tackled several minor projects (buying supplies to paint my master bathroom, finally weeding my back garden, getting my glasses and lawn mower fixed) and two major projects (reshingling the garage and putting up a decent bird feeder). I expect the rest of July will be just as full of distracting, yet satisfying, accomplishments.

The boys on the roof.

It took me three days to screw the post base into the ground. 

Rothfuss' second message was to break the rules. Specifically, he advised three places NaNoWriMo rules could be bent:

1) "You don't have to start from scratch."
Actually, I am starting from scratch. So I'm following that rule.

2) "Revise sometimes."
Since I haven't started writing sentences, I don't know if it will be hard for me to avoid revision. I suspect it will be nearly impossible. I like revising. Still, I'll try to minimize my revising overall.

3) "Follow your enthusiasm."
That's the one. NaNoWriMo pushes writers to set down at least 1667 words per day in order to reach the 50,000 word goal. I am already at the point where it may impossible to catch up. But I'm so excited about the project and making significant progress daily.

Yesterday I brainstormed for about 40 minutes into my phone's recorder and later typed up those ideas (more prewriting). A few ideas were off track, as happens with good brainstorming. Most ideas were good. A few ideas may be brilliant.

I also set up my interviews with Newbie and the Vet. In fact, Newbie came over for nearly two hours and downloaded her thoughts and emotions during a friendly and informative conversation about her first impressions and challenges working at the ice cream shop. Priceless. So much of her experience will be in the novel. Together we thought of ideas that would work in the story, and I am ready to start writing sentences even before the second interview.


New prewriting: 1257 words
Words: 16 (I have an opening sentence!)




No comments:

Post a Comment