Thursday, July 3, 2014

July 2: Research

I love this NaNoWriMo poster.


My favorite quotes:

"The first step in writing a good book: giving yourself permission to write a bad book."
"You are part ninja, part monkey, part starmaster cyborg."
"Write first! Ask questions later!"

I will write a bad book.
I am a ninja monkey starmaster cyborg. NMSC.
I am... asking so many many many questions!

Summer of Art's (working title) happens at an ice cream shop, but I don't know anything about working at an ice cream shop. I am at a loss. I can write the characters, but not the action. So I don't have scene. And it all starts with scene. So yesterday I wrote over 500 words worth of questions about ice cream shops.

And fetched my lunch at the real Art's. (Can I write that off?) The food was good, but I was there to see if I recognized any of the workers -- who knew the answers to my questions.

Thankfully, a recently graduated student of mine whom I know well through extra-curricular activities was window-jockey. I asked for her help.

"Of course I'll help. But it's only my first day," she demured.

Enter another window-working former student, curious.

"How about you? First day?"

"I have nine years experience."

"I need to interview both of you."

My total word count is still nil. But I'm on my way.


BTW: At first I imagined the novel in rotating third-person limited POV. Now I'm pretty sure it's Sarah's story. I'll start with her. I don't think the others will pipe up, but you never know. Wonder paved the way for odd POV shifts.

Also, I ran an SSA list of popular baby names for 1997 and scrolled down to the bottom to find a name for my third character. Close but rejected names:
      999 Stormy (there will be storms of all kinds in the story, too on point)
      993 Elsa (I bet that'll make the top ten for 2014)
      978 Katerina (love the name, but I had a Kat in SPOTD)
      976 Devan (the right feel, but I taught a Devan and am searching for a new name)
      963 Quinn (too Glee)

      966 Ryann

I've never taught one.
I've never met one.
Perhaps a little indulgent, given my name is Ann. She's not based on me, though. And when you say the name, it just sounds like Ryan.
It has a familiarity and uniqueness at once.
Ryann it is.


New prewriting: 545 words
Novel: 0 words

No comments:

Post a Comment