Sunday, July 13, 2014

July 12: Names

Sarah.
Ryann.
Alex.

I've known since early on that these were my three main characters. Each one is a combination of people I've known here in Monte, in college, and in my family. Plus a little of myself, I suppose. It's hard to avoid that.

They now have last names: Sarah Olson, Ryann James, and Alex Taylor. And they have coworkers, friends, and family members with names, as well. It was fun both surfing the internet with abandon and playing around with the ssa.gov database to find appealing, age-appropriate names for the characters.

There was one surprise.

As I filled out the work schedule on Friday, I realized that Sarah works about a third of her shifts with someone I haven't fully imagined yet. I only know that Sarah's new friend speaks Spanish. She's possibly from Honduras, like several of my students from last year. This was a surprise to me. One that I like very much.

On the homefront, I've decided to do a brown paint purge. That means goodbye, clever but impossible-to-decorate-around hallway stripes.

I almost to forgot to take the before picture!

Yes. I see that I have invoked the golden-throated James Taylor. I'm more than okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment