Saturday, December 3, 2011

Guilty Pleasure Confession

I like cheesy holiday movies.

The weather turns colder and that chair in front of my fireplace beckons.



It says, "You know Lifetime and abc Family and the Hallmark people depend on you this time of year, sweetie. Bake up some of those fund raiser pastries you so kindly bought, grab a squishy blanket, and curl up for two hours. There will be a happy ending, I promise."

And although I know the story before it even starts...

The main character, a lovely single woman with fabulous hair pulled back too tightly at the start, who is a) too career driven to appreciate the people in her life or b) too blind to notice that adorable guy right in front of her face, will somehow screw up, but then find her true love just in time for Christmas, resulting in her loosening her hair.

Although I know this, I get sucked in anyway.

The formula is trite, predictable, and sends a message with which I don't entirely agree. Most of the gals AND their mothers believe they or their daughters will die miserably if they somehow pass their 30th birthdays without a husband. FYI: not true. But I do like the happily ever after part. I like that these nice ladies find such cuties to love and be loved by.

So although I talk back to the television, advising the young women to stop pegging their entire emotional lives on the success of one relationship, I still cry when that inevitable, closing credits kiss finally happens.



I say this both as a guilty pleasure confession and as an excuse for not making progress on Super Power of the Day: The Hero Chronicle Continues this week. It is my goal to have volume 2 available before Christmas, but someone needs to disrupt my cable service first.

No comments:

Post a Comment