Monday, December 26, 2011

The Best Christmas Present


Super Power of the Day
By Ann Wachtler
Reactions after reading from
Henry Johnsrud... Soon to be 10

The character that I'd most like to spend time with is Chase Cooper. He seemed the most like me. He likes baseball, video games, and seemed like a typical boy around my age. He has an annoying sister, but I have two. She makes him mad, then he hits her (or something like that...), and she runs off and tells on him...then he gets into trouble...just like me.

It did take me a while to get into the book. I prefer the super powers to come a little earlier. The main emotion I had was being sad when the book ended. I got so sucked into it that I kept the light on much longer than I was supposed to. I kept reading more and more to find out what was going to happen. It reminded me of "Harry Potter" because they both had some kind of special power. Chase and Harry use their super power for good purposes.

I think that the author wrote this book to entertain young readers, maybe more for boys, but girls too. The main character is someone who is really nice and would be the kind of friend I'd want. Parents and grandparents would agree. It's pretty creative and was probably fun to write. The author did good descriptions, like in the dream because I could get the picture in my head. There were a few words, like on the spelling tests, that I had no idea what they meant, but then the author told me. That was good.

I am excited to read the next book. I hope it comes out soon so I don't forget what the main idea is of this book.


Note from Ann:
Wow, Henry! I am flattered by your kind words and impressed with your writing ability. It was fun to write the book. I'm especially glad you like Chase. You even figured out the novel's biggest weakness (I cut and cut and cut the first 50 pages, but I just couldn't shrink it any further...). Watch the mail in January, because you will be one of the first people to read Super Power of the Day: The Hero Chronicle Continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment