Sunday, August 25, 2019

Facebook Revelations

What does my personal Facebook page say about me?

I recently did a quick data analysis on the types of posts and topics posted on my Facebook page so far (2019). Here's what I found:

Topics*:
0% Political
2% each: Current events, Weather, Local interest, Travel, and College
6.5% Shakespeare related
6.5% Movies/Television
9% Events
11% Poems/Poetry 
13% Humorous
13% Education
17% Books
35% Family

Genre:
2% each: Announcements, Advertising, Graphic, Invitation
4% Shopping related
9% Memes
11% Text
13% Articles
17% Videos
37% Photos

Posters:
35% Shared by someone else
65% Posted by me

My most common post is family photos posted by me. In my opinion, that's Facebook's most convenient use.

If someone were trying to figure out my interests, they would have a pretty good snapshot based on these results.

Though I do hit the like button on others' partisan political posts, I consciously refuse to post political content (articles/memes). I acknowledge this is a matter of privilege. It's a choice I make to safeguard my mental health. Still, would someone be able to guess my political affiliation based on Facebook posts? Probably. My focus on public education and intellectual pursuits probably give it away. It's not that I'm a Democrat, so I have certain interests. It's the other way around. I care about all Americans doing well, not just myself, and actively work to raise the "least" to their best lives, rather than focusing on what's merely best or most profitable for me. A focus on the group over the individual often marks the difference between Democrat and Republican. I think it's particularly sad that the highly educated in our nation are now considered "elite" to be trashed rather than exemplars to be revered.

The same is true for religion. I don't post my religious beliefs or link to articles that are particularly religious, though my faith is an important part of who I am. Again, I think it's sad that one party considers itself the "religious" one, assuming that all members of the opposite party are Godless heathens. It is my Christian faith, above all, that leads me most of my political beliefs. Especially Jesus' call to live humbly, love my neighbor, and be a servant to others.

What surprised me? I think movies and television take up more of my daily life than this shows, as does travel. I had no idea that a third of the content on my page was posted by friends and relatives, although that doesn't surprise me.

I have posted 15 times to this blog in 2019. Had I linked to each blog, about a quarter of my posts would have been about writing. That's more than my percentages for books or education. I sometimes flirt with the idea of transitioning to a full-time writing career. This data analysis is a bit of an eye-opener. Retiring from teaching is not just a fleeting thought. It's born out by the numbers.


* Some topics comprised more than one topic

No comments:

Post a Comment