Tuesday, August 6, 2019

A New (Laser) Printer

I like to revise on paper.

Here's why:

1. It's easy to see typing and grammar mistakes and easy to mark them for editing.
2. There is plenty of white space in the page margins for brainstorming and multiple, recorded efforts at new approaches to problem sentences.
3. Words, sentences, or even whole sections can simply be marked for later revision, especially if I don't see/hear an immediate solution.
4. Physically, I can see more of the text more quickly, moving my eyes and not the mouse cursor or screen.
5. Reading on paper can be done while sitting outside in the sun. For someone who lives in the North, where half the year is spent indoors, getting outside in the summer is essential. Very few things in life bring me as much joy as sitting in the sun, reading.

This past year I have printed the various pieces of Lio and Lamb twice: once just before Christmas in preparation for submission to agent Matt Bialer and once this summer as lead-in work to finishing the two drafts.

I could have printed them on my home/office inkjet printer. However, that machine was on its last leg. What should have been printed in crisp, black ink was instead gray and blurry. Every tenth line or so was so blurry as to be unreadable.

I tried cleaning the printer heads, replacing the ink with new cartridges (official brand, not "refilled"), and using better quality paper. Each "fix" bumped the quality of the printing, but only marginally and temporarily. So...

Each time I printed the Lio and Lamb texts, I drove 50 miles to access an affordable same-day printer/binder. Though not terribly expensive, adding up what I have spent so far plus another printing would equal the cost of a new printer.

I bought a new printer.



After an entire morning of setup, including 57 minutes on the phone/online with hp customer support, it's ready to go.

PS
Truthfully, this summer's writing and revising has been the most intense since I was actively drafting SPOTD, ten years ago. I feel like my revision game has stepped up. I am seeing better digitally. If only computer screens worked well in the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment