Thursday, August 29, 2019

Abstract Thinking vs. Knowing

This summer I read, back to back, two books that made me rethink my writing practice and how I teach writing.

The first is Tara Westover's brilliant Educated. She is a thoughtful, wonderful writer.



The second is Range, David Epstein. I can't stop thinking and talking about this book.



One of Epstein's propositions is that we too often teach and test concrete, knowledge-based skills (well) to the detriment of abstract thinking skills that would be more useful throughout one's life. Not new, as an idea. I remember particularly the "Dimensions of Learning" trend that pushed for teaching HOTS: Higher Order Thinking Skills. That was one education trend I really liked and continue to consider as I plan lessons. I especially like the author's insistence that better learning is SLOW and looks like poor learning (in the immediate). Which leads me back to Tara Westover.

Tara's elementary and secondary education experiences were extremely limited. She mostly learned what she was curious enough about to explore on her own, which led to a narrow understanding of what most Americans would deem "general knowledge". But she was a reader, and her mind is able to make fascinating, imaginative leaps. She learned the skills that Range's author deemed essential. She is able to transfer knowledge and make connections.

In the long run, teachers who lead students toward the right answers and reward them are less effective than teachers who allow students to be wrong and struggle toward true understanding. As I start a new school year, I plan to keep these truths in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment