Monday, August 22, 2011

It's a Trilogy!

I decided to solve my length problem by splitting the text into three parts. 

Thanks to Sandra's emphasis on creating good bones to hang the story on, this division of plot worked better than I expected. 

In volume 1, Origins of a Sixth Grade Superhero, Chase experiences his last day as a regular kid and then gets his first ten superpowers over the next ten days. After the first three, he shares his secret with his best friends. By the end of the first volume, he has learned how it feels to save the day using his powers.

In volume 2, The Hero Chronicle Continues, Chase gets his next eleven powers. Several of the most dramatic moments of the series happen as he experiences the extreme powers of Invisibility, Flight, and Magnetism. By the end of the volume, he has experienced a Spiderman II moment.

In volume 3, The Final Face-Off, Chase finishes his month with his final ten powers. The series builds to a double climactic finish and brings closure to the month. 

I had to add a few chapters to make the transitions between volumes make sense, but that turned out well. I re-edited, hired a proofreader, re-edited again, then designed the pages in Adobe inDesign. Learning the program took time, but I really like working with it. (Thanks, Lynda.com).

Once I had the pages done, I reproofed the pages twice. Some difficult spots were rewritten. As of today's blogpost, I am done with volume 1, have only a small amount of work to finish on volume two, and have several full days of proof and design work to do on volume 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment