Sunday, March 15, 2015

Not a land, a castle!




The littlest one (bottom right) turned out to be surprisingly well researched. Go figure.
Last week I took advantage of my local library and sheepishly checked out half a shelf worth of children's books on castles, medieval times, and knights. I've been reading serious scholarship on the topics of late, but I needed visual reference. Books with plots, plans, diagrams, arrows, maps, and PICTURES. You see...

I have written myself into a few corners with this story.

First, the captain of the castle guard ended up in the Castle Aco prison for no apparent reason, and I didn't know why he would deign to do so. I wasn't even sure what a castle prison should look like. Or if castles had prisons at all. Or guard captains. I knew that the idea of prisons for long-term punishment was not medieval, but the "dungeon" was. I needed help.

Second, Lamb was locked out of the Castle Aco kitchen, I and didn't know how to get her back inside.

It was fun to figure out these puzzles. Just like solving "problems" when directing a play, the search for my solutions required creative thinking, and the results ended up being much more interesting than they would have been without the struggle.

It turns out it's not a land I need to draw, it's Castle Aco. 

No comments:

Post a Comment