Saturday, January 11, 2014

Resolution for 2014

It's only January, which means I'm doing well on my 2014 resolution for writing. That's the thing about January. No stamina required (yet).

The big commitment: To do something each month in 2014 to market the SPOTD series.

January:
I contacted my dream agency with a request for representation. They asked for an upload of the text, which meant selecting a book from the series to send. My favorite book is #2, probably because it has the most classic superpowers (flying, invisibility, strength) and because Chase's inner journey ramps up as the veil of youthful self-centeredness starts to fall from his eyes. The story becomes less about a kid playing with superpowers and more about the superpowers playing with him.

But I think #3 is the strongest of the three books, so that's the one I sent. I loved putting together the puzzle of the whole series, and in the third volume, everything that happened in #1 and #2 has extra purpose and weight. Plot points and details that may have seemed extraneous earlier are suddenly indispensable. And I'm especially proud of both my temporal manipulations: the events foretold in precognitive flashes and the events affected by time travel to the past. Trust me, a lot of thought went into avoiding temporal paradoxes. I'm proud of the results.

I have one confession regarding the submission. Before I sent it, I clicked the "exclusive" button -- less to show my commitment to this particular agency (although, as I said, it is my dream agency) and more to let myself off the hook for further agency contacts in January.

Resolution =  check


1 comment:

  1. Update: On January 20, the dream agency passed on representing my series.

    Next up is a query to my Dream Agent. I just sent the email. As a sample chapter, I sent the second part of May 29, the (spoiler alert) day of Super Smell and Clara's barn being burned to the ground. I selected it rather randomly. Perhaps a more exciting chapter (when Chase saves Jose using Super Speed, for example) would be better for pitching. It is a heroic moment after all, and many readers' favorite. But I like the structure and important, though minimal, dialogue in "What I Call Brave." It has good pace, I think.

    ReplyDelete