Thursday, January 16, 2014

Encounters of the Fan Kind

As a newbie to the world of "being recognized," I don't always respond perfectly.

Just before Christmas, I ran into a young fan at the mall in my original hometown. He shyly did the slide-closer-to-Mommy's-leg move as I chatted with his mother. I hesitated to engage him, although I'm perfectly capable of kneeling down and asking a few questions. In the moment, I felt fear. Specifically, an unreasonable fear that if I asked him how he liked the ending, I wouldn't get the answer I wanted to hear – even though he had written me this lovely note after reading volume 2:
 


In retrospect, I realize that I need to get over myself.

Lesson learned: Have a few open-ended questions ready to go and ASK THEM. It was definitely a lost opportunity.

This past weekend, I ran into a home-schooling mother who is reading the series to her kids. They've just finished volume 2 and are eagerly anticipating a dive into the final book. She was effusive in her praise. She loved the ending of the first book, which felt concluded (to her) despite being only the end of part 1. She appreciated how the characters are learning to see from others' perspectives. And she said that her kids were pretty into the story, asking her daily, "What do you think the SPOTD will be today?" And instead of letting her ramble on (basking in the praise), I jumped in and talked over her. I explained my favorite parts and told her why I thought she'd like the last book. In retrospect, I would have enjoyed hearing more from her and less from myself.

Lesson learned: When I meet ultimate fans, I need to step back and shut my trap.

Thankfully, I don't always respond imperfectly when surprised by a reader's attention. Several times in recent weeks I've run into fans who requested volume 3... and voila! Turns out I had copies ready to sell or give away within walking distance. I also graciously accepted my book club's wish to put The Final Face-Off on our reading list for 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment