Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Puzzle of Words

I finished the final edit of volume 2 in my Super Power of the Day series about an hour ago. (Fingers crossed.)


Whew!


It's astonishing to me that I can find genuine mistakes after so many read throughs. A Sunday that I called a Saturday. A sentence missing the word "of." A logical place for an emotional moment that I breezed past. These have been fixed.


Of course I found myself tinkering and tinkering with words as I puzzled out the perfect sentences. One hang up I have is accidental repetition of particular words on a given page. Another is compound words. And I'm always testing the feel of the words for elementary level speaking (my main character's voice) and reading (my audience) levels. 


Whenever I was unsure of my word choice and a suitable alternative didn't pop into my head, I switched from InDesign to Word, typed up the offending word, and right clicked for synonyms. By the end of my edit, I had a fun list of typical words, some kept and some changed, from The Hero Chronicle Continues. Reading them is like peeking into the text...


Here they are:

rustle hand me down spray paint spider web tackle box viscera crow bar mine find shove push shuffle stride move alive axel axle venue awe indelibly offer wonder if consider look gradually carefully cut gash unison malfunction problem issue evil brokenness emerge carcass videogame make force tell order 

See if you can puzzle out the plot!

No comments:

Post a Comment