Saturday, July 21, 2012

Kindle Edition Finished!

Tears were shed.

About halfway through the process of reformatting the print version of Super Power of the Day: Origins of a Sixth Grade Superhero to create a Kindle-friendly file, I thought I was done. I tried a test version of my text in the Kindle previewer and found that only two chapters looked the way I expected them to look. I wanted single spacing, with extra breaks in the same places as the print version. But most of the chapters were not listening to the laboriously entered manual formatting I'd just spent two full days entering into the doc.

I fiddled with the text. No luck. I fiddled some more. No luck. I just couldn't see where my formatting was wrong.

For some reason, perhaps because so many online bloggers and guides recommend formatting the htm version of a text, I finally decided to search the code for a reason my formatting was so off. Mind you, I don't code. But I can look at code and WYSIWYG side by side and understand/read the code. After all, two chapters formatted themselves correctly. All I had to do was compare the proper sections to the messed up ones and see what was different. So I saved a copy in htm, turned on Dreamweaver, and went on a hunt.

The answer was way at the top of the coding, in the definition of normal style. It would take more time, but I knew how to fix that.

The tears dried up.

In retrospect, the tears probably happened half because of my frustration and half because I went camping this week.

Our site (tipi #6) at Upper Sioux Agency State Park


The camping itself was wonderful. My attempts to sleep while camping in the extreme heat and humidity we've been enjoying? Not so wonderful.

By the way, the kindle version of the book will be available shortly. I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment