Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Day Job

It was a wonderful summer. I indulged myself in setting up my publishing business, learning inDesign, editing and proofreading all three volumes of the S.P.O.T.D. series, collaborating with artists, learning to blog, creating a website, and seeing it all come together just in time... 

...to return to my day job.

WOW, it's amazing how teaching lasts from before sun up to head on the pillow. I thought I'd be able to continue regular blogging once the school year began, perhaps cutting down to three times a week. Didn't happen this week -- we'll see about next.

For now, Chase and his friends are on the back burner while my priorities turn to 133 students, a student teacher, 33 cast and 15 crew members, negotiations between ISD and my local, signing up NHS members to volunteer at Special Olympics bowling, organizing tickets and transportation for the senior class to see Much Ado at the Guthrie over MEA, inspiring creative writers, reconfiguring my AP lit curriculum to include more critical theory, teaching 10th graders how to do informative speeches via podcast (after learning the tech myself), mowing the lawn, turning a garden's worth of tomatoes into canned soup, reading The Book Thief, and firing up the the patio fire pit on starry nights.

I'll be living in Bedford Falls for the next few months, by the way.

It's a Wonderful Life, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment