Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Toni Morrison

I love this, from Toni Morrison: 


In June and the first half of July, I did the following for my newest novel, Dash Away:

* Reread my notes from last winter
* Settled on names and personality traits for most characters
* Made a progression outline following the Blake Snyder model
* Collected more notes
* Rewatched Notting Hill 
* Sorted all my notes into chapters

That work feels like the thinking and discovering and selecting and ordering and beginning to find meaning part of the writing process. I think it has gone well, though I'm sure much will be trimmed and much added. 

As I make a turn this week toward actually typing the manuscript, I anticipate feeling the "awe and reverence and mystery and magic" of storytelling. 

Okay, muse. Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment