Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Is That Sunshine I See?

It seems the last time I looked at a calendar it was mid-February, and here we are in JUNE. Which means...


...my day job has reached its annual hiatus. Already, I have celebrated various life events with loved ones, attacked house and yard jobs with the short-lived glee of early summer freedom, and requested a pile of books from my local library. The best part is finally being able to sit in the midday sunshine reading.

Over the course of the spring months, I didn't make the writing progress I had hoped for, but small Lio and Lamb adjacent projects were on my mind daily. For example, I was constantly looking up the derivations of cool words that I ran across in order to make up new words and names for the story. I've also been on a brain-hunt for nicknames for various occupations, ranks, and positions in my realm.

Alas, I have decided not to travel this summer.

I'm grieving a bit over not being able to see the RSC reverse-gender Taming of the Shrew or Aaron Sorkin's adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird on Broadway. There will still be Minnesota trips and lots of theater to see, but no long plane flights or overstuffed luggage.

Instead, I've decided to commit to finishing both Lio and Lamb drafts. It's slow going so far. But I feel like I'll get back in the groove today. As long as that lovely sunshine and the pile of library books on my kitchen counter don't tempt me outside all day.


No comments:

Post a Comment