Saturday, March 2, 2019

Matt Bird's Book: A Vacation Tradition

A few years ago, I started reading Matt Bird's The Secrets of Story. I must have been on vacation in Florida because I remember sitting in the sun while reading and needing to stop and search for a highlighter because everything Bird wrote was so applicable, practical, and wise.


Highlighter in hand, I got a few chapters in and was so inspired that I put down the book to go write.

A year later I packed it for a return to Florida. While sitting on the lanai, I reread all my highlighting, read/highlighted a little further, and was inspired (again) to go write.

Last week I packed for Florida. I made sure to include Bird's book and lots of highlighters.

You'll never guess what happened.

PS

My sister and I were discussing our recent disappointment with the current season of The Walking Dead, and something she said resonated. I grabbed the Bird book, and we read his rules for creating a hero together. It was astonishing -- the series is breaking all Bird's rules. No wonder we are both ready to stop watching.


No comments:

Post a Comment