Thursday, August 18, 2016

Chapter Titles Overview

Because I'm using shifting third person limited POV in my new novel, I've just been titling each chapter with the name of the respective chapter's central character.

My intention was to alternate chapters between the perspectives of the main characters (Lio or Lamb) and various minor characters who have some sort of direct contact with one or both of the twins. I work better with restrictions, so this has been a useful challenge. As a bonus, it has forced me to bring the "bad guys" into contact with the "heroes" more often, leading to more conflict and danger.

Meanwhile...

I realized a short while ago that a few key plot points needed to be more clear early on. I also needed to introduce a location that would be important later and dramatize a moment that would be referenced later. Rather than adding to previously written chapters, which have decent pace, I decided to insert a few new chapters.

The question was where to fit them in.

To find my answer, I made a list of the chapters so far.



It's an interesting list. I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Here are a few thoughts:

* I have 76 chapters. Wow. I mean, they are short (on purpose), but that seems like a lot. And I'm only 2/3 done with the draft.

* I initially wrote only Lio's part of the story. Let's call it Act 1. Then I created Lamb's story for the same time period and wove them together with respect to the plot's timeline. Because of this, I often have two minor character chapters in a row or Lio and Lamb chapters back to back. I had no idea this was happening. I don't dislike it, and I don't intend to change any of it until I've had the chance to read the full draft. Overall, this is the biggest surprise of the overview.

* The back and forth evens out a bit when Lio and Lamb are physically together in Act 2, probably because I wrote those chapters in order.

* I've been stuck for a few weeks as I try to work out the plot of Act 3. Looking at the chapters from a distance helped me realize that because I'm separating the characters, I should write an entire plot line (i.e. all of Lio's scenes first, all of Lamb's scenes second) and weave them together afterwards. It worked before. It can work again. Writer's block demolished. Well, lessened.

* There are three distinct series of chapters where either Lio or Lamb "disappears." Two of them are intentional. The other may present an opportunity. We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment