Sunday, February 1, 2015

Kate DiCamillo Marathon


The "you have eight books to pick up" from the local library message on my answering machine made me laugh. As if I'd have time for the luxury of reading eight books on a whim the same week that semester one grades were due. But when the eight books turn out to be, as expected, as delightful as Ms. DiCamillo's are, I'll make time for the distraction.

I was particularly enchanted by Gollie and Bink.



Here's what I love about DiCamillo's work:

     1. Little details that repeat meaningfully.
     2. Musical language that rarely speaks down to younger readers.
     3. Characters that aren't explained; they just are.
     4. Visuals.

Although the characters in my next project won't be modern gal pals (see above), nor a chicken who adventures around the world (Louise), nor a pig who eats buttered toast (Mercy Watson), I plan to write with meaningful details, musical language, and characters that need no explanation.

And someday, Publishing Gods willing, my next story may include visuals, like those in Gaiman's Fortunately, the Milk or Patrick Rothfuss' The Slow Regard of Silent Things. I just love the back and white sketches in such novels, how they add a layer to the enchantment and accessibility of the stories. Even as an adult reader, the thoughtful design of such visual pages draws me in.



No comments:

Post a Comment