Friday, August 23, 2013

A Final Dilemma: To Swear or Not to Swear


This happened about a week ago.

I had the entire text of SPOTD: The Final Face-Off revised, copy edited, proofread, and ready to export with Adobe PDF Presets [PDF/X-1a:2001]. Yeah, that's pretty much 5 minutes away from being ENTIRELY done (upload to LSI, order my proof copy, done).

I was stuck on one word.

I'll be vague enough to avoid spoilers. There's a short scene where Chase eavesdrops on some older kids. The older kids are angry. Older kids swear and use impolite insults and rough language when they are angry. I was writing dialogue. The dilemma: to swear or not to swear.

On the one hand, Stephen King says in On Writing that “if you expect to succeed as a writer, rudeness should be the second-to-least of your concerns. The least of all should be polite society and what it expects. If you intend to write as truthfully as you can, your days as a member of polite society are numbered, anyway.” 

On the other hand, my books are for elementary kids.

So, I brainstormed swear words and insults that would fit the sentence in question, and settled on the word asinine. It has a nice forbidden sound, without being a four-letter word per se. I could hear the speaker in question using the word.



Then I imagined my elementary teacher friend Karinda Groothuis reading the sentence aloud to her class. Would she hesitate and possible skip over the word? Um, yeah. I imagined 10-year-olds bringing their copies of the book to their parents for a definition. Would they wonder what on earth their precious little ones were reading? Um, yeah. I imagined the word finding its way onto the school bus or out to the playground. Would it be repeated? Possibly. Would that make the word a better place? Probably not.

In short, was it worth it to write the scene as I heard it, with the language the characters were screaming in my head? Again, no.

I finally decided that I would regret insulting readers and parents and teachers more than I would regret a small lapse of writer's integrity. Integrity to the dogs, I worked around the rough language by stating, "He swore." I did include the insult "stupid," which is an accurate description of the action in the scene. It took me 45 minutes to decide on this one word. I'm satisfied.

Done.


No comments:

Post a Comment