Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hello summer! Hello Lenovo Yoga!

Spring snows, a cool spring, and too many cloudy days have combined to confuse all of us here in Minnesota into thinking that nice summer weather will neeeeeeeeever arrive. But no matter. It's not the weather, it's the day job hiatus that marks the beginning of summer for teachers.

And I'm officially done until August.

So how did I spend my first day of summer freedom? After a long morning (8:30 to 2:00) of yard work, a tick-drowning and muscle-soothing shower, eating an entire pizza and more ibuprofen than recommended for my inevitable sore back, and some random-style-wandery-shopping, I'm watching a little Table Top on geekandsundry while writing my first blog post in... too long.

I'm gearing up for intense editing, design work, and proofing of SPOTD Volume 3. To provide inspiration, I've added a toy, I mean tool, to my life: Lenovo Yoga 13.

Here's a l'il pic.
Hello, Windows 8.

It's a full laptop with touchscreen. The cool part is that the keyboard flips all the way around, effectively turning the device into a tablet. I like that this type machine is called a "convertible." That sounds apropos for summer (hiatus!). I'm waiting for the first time I reach for the screen on my Mac desktop to select a botton or close a window. Sort of like the left foot clutching in my Jeep (automatic transmission) after having driven my stick shift pickup to the compost site. It'll happen.

So far, I like the keyboard. It's more Mac than usual PC-like. For some reason the backspace key is one off from where my right hand ring finger reaches to hit it. I suppose I'll adjust in time. I appreciate the "end of line" key, which is a nice substitute for command+right arrow. 

As for software, I'm using Office 2013 Word, and tapping the screen in the middle of a text sometimes brings the cursor to that spot, sometimes not. I keep expecting it to work just like texting on my phone, which turns out to be more reliable/intuitive. Who would have guessed?

In any case, once I had my work PC all washed up, unplugged, and bagged on Thursday afternoon, I was able to use the Yoga to finish up stuff over at the day job. Which (have I mentioned?) is now on hiatus. 



No comments:

Post a Comment