Thursday, May 10, 2012

Classroom Visit Success!

I received this amazing letter from teacher Karinda Groothuis (multiage grades 1-3 teacher) a while ago:

Dear Ann,
     In the beginning, I was a little worried -- Bloody Mary and bra descriptions seemed a little more mature than what first graders should hear. I kept reading and the children kept listening. With each super power, more predicting took place. The students were as curious as Kat and Johnny. They even learned the meaning of serendipity.
     Something amazing happened after I read the last page and closed the book. The children applauded! That has never happened before. They loved your book Ann, and they want to read more.
     I know your schedule is busy, but we would love to have you visit us. Let me know if it is ever possible.

Your friend, Karinda

Well, today was the day.

Ann Wachtler and Super Teacher Karinda Groothuis

While my own dear ones were rocking the Advanced Placement Literature and Composition Exam, I jumped buildings and had my first classroom visit for Super Power of the Day. It was wonderful. What great kids!

Except for the burning pain in my quads from squatting down to get to elementary kid level, I could get used to this visiting author gig.

2 comments:

  1. You both look amazing...I remember having Karinda as a student teacher in 4th grade with Mrs. Karels...she looks as good as she did then(as do you, Ann)! My 5th grader loved getting your book for Christmas & is waiting for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle. I agree about Karinda's agelessness.

    Book number two is soooooo close to done. Watch for it in the next month (fingers crossed)!

    ReplyDelete